Tuesday, September 05, 2023

The point is not “what” we believe; it’s “whom”. Thoughts on 2nd Timothy 1

 Paul did not write, in verse 12, “I know what I have believed”, or “I know that the gospel that Jesus taught us is true”.  He wrote, “I know whom I have believed.”

When Jesus called his disciples he did not say “I have teachings that will change your life”, or “I can teach you principles and commandments from God, our Father, that will bless your life”.  Rather, he invited them to spend time with him.  “Follow me” (be with me, spend time with me) is what he said. (Matt 4:19, 8:22, 9:9, 16:2, Mark 1:17, John  12:26, etc.)

“Faith, in the New Testament, is very seldom acquiescence in a creed; it is almost always trust in a person….To be a Christian is to know Him…‘other  than at second  hand.’”    ~ William Barclay

Sounds to me like a life-long journey.


No comments: