Sunday, November 06, 2022

Spiritual fasting as a turning towards partnership



Thinking about the practice of spiritual fasting this morning.

"Fasting requires self-control and discipline, as one denies the natural desires of the flesh. During spiritual fasting, the believer's focus is removed from the physical things of this world and intensely concentrated on God." ~ Mary Fairchild

I generally have tended to think about fasting from food as an expression of turning to God and away from food for a time, good in and of itself, and considered even better when it is "done with a purpose", a petition for help for self or others, in mind.  But Fairchild's statement has me thinking about the principle of fasting as it relates to a broader definition of that turning.

Fasting from food reminds me of my own physical weakness and dependency upon God's creation of this world and its resources for my very life; my own weakness in comparison to the power of a wondrous, life-giving, loving, and amazing God.  It can direct my feelings of hunger into awareness of my own dependence upon Him and the world He created for us, and, hopefully,  therefore,  encourages me towards grateful and more earnest communication with Him.  And, seeking that communication, I may gain spiritual clarity of thought. 

That leads me to believe that, though we often talk about "fasting with a purpose",  and tend to think of it as a method to employ while petitioning God for a particular and important need or hope to be fulfilled, spiritual fasting is not simply a way to express gratitude, or to earn God's favor, or to increase the likelihood that He will do something, for us or someone else. Rather, the purpose of fasting is to produce a transformation in us—a clearer, more focused attention and dependence upon God.  Thus, my more focused attention to, and grateful communication with God while fasting can help me to hear God's voice more clearly on those very subjects that are on my mind and in my heart.  And as I do so, that attention moves our communication away from "petitioner to grantor" (I need this, please make it happen) and into "partners" (here is what is possible, and what we each can do) in the work of the Lord near me.

Clearly, food is not the only thing which, if I fast from it, can help me in my efforts to turn my heart and mind to God.  At this point in my life, after decades of regular spiritual fasts from food, fasting from food is fairly easy and familiar.  What's harder for me at this stage of my life?  Fasting from time spent online.  Sobering.

Furthermore, fasting, it seems, is more than abstinence from something, which abstinence is hopefully practiced with God in mind. 

Isaiah wrote "Is this not the fast that I have chosen? to loose the bands of wickedness, to undo the heavy burdens, and to let the oppressed go free, and that ye break every yoke?  Is it not to deal thy bread to the hungry, and that thou bring the poor that are cast out to thy house? That thou sees the naked, that thou cover him: and that thou hide not thyself from thine own flesh?"  (Isaiah 58:6-7)

We have a tradition, when we engage in a spiritual fast, of donating "fast offerings"; funds to be used by churches or other institutions to aid others who struggle with one or more of the burdens and needs that Isaiah wrote about.

It occurs to me that it would be wise for me to not only make such donations with those Isaiah verses in mind, but, as I communicate with God during a spiritual fast (be it a fast from food or from anything else), to also seek from Him the courage, heart, will, and information He may give me in order to not only donate funds, but also to be able to recognize, by His spirit, the moments or times in the coming days when I am personally in a position to act in a way that furthers what Isaiah wrote about and to do so.

For a hesitant, homebody person like me who finds solitude peaceful, asking to be able to see those moments or times and to act accordingly feels daunting.  But if I remember that our Father and I are partners in whatever He indicates in the days that follow such a seeking and seeing, rather than us being just petitioner and grantor, that helps. A lot.




No comments: