Wednesday, March 27, 2019

A black belt

We have been working on improving our budgeting of our resources.

And we have been considering ways to give more to those in need.

And we have been thinking about how to tell the difference between what we need and what we have.  (Like many people, we have more than we actually need.)

Recently, as I dressed, I was reminded that my black leather belt had finally broken beyond repair the week before.  Before it broke, I owned three belts: that black one, one brown one, and one multi-colored one.

So, I considered again how to go about replacing that black belt that I wear to hold up my black pants.  I have money in my budget to purchase one.  Salvation Army might have one that fit me.  Or one of the local department stores might have one that fits the bill.

But then this morning I read a telling “widows mite” story in the newsletter I occasionally get from a local charitable organization which I respect and to which I have donated.  And it made me review, in my mind, budgeting, giving. and needs versus wants.

What if, instead of replacing the belt, or saving money by not replacing the belt, I instead lived with two belts instead of three and donated the cost of a belt to a charitable cause?

What if, every time some personal or household item wore out, I not only thought about whether or not it was actually needful that I replace it, but also, if it was not in fact needful,  whether or not forgoing replacing it, and then sending the replacement cost to a good cause instead, might not be a good idea?

Do I NEED to wear a black belt with black pants?  How important to me is saving those $10?   How important is either one to me on my scale of priorities?  Is there something I might consider doing instead?


1 comment:

BrieAnn said...

I recently asked my EcoLiteracy class to start taking inventory of their clothes. I want to know quantity - how many pairs of shoes, pants, leggings, socks, underwear, coats, sweaters, all of it. They all seem to be a bit mortified at the task. I'm doing it too. We watched a brief introductory documentary about the high cost of fast fashion earlier this week, and today I'm starting the documentary "The True Cost." We've been learning that nothing happens in isolation and are looking at how whole systems are affected by our personal choices for consumerism. It made me smile to read your concrete number of belts and your series of questions about how to proceed with your black belt.
Best of luck in deciding.