Thursday, May 02, 2013

Quote for the day

"At their root, most religious philosophies say do less harm, yes, but they also say do more good.  There is a limit to how much less harm I can do.  But my potential for good is unlimited.  All of our potentials for good are unlimited.
"The question becomes not whether we use resources but what we use them for.  Do we use them to improve lives?  Or do we waste them?  My life itself is a resource.  How shall I use it?"

~Colin Beavans, "No Impact Man", p. 205

2 comments:

BrieAnn said...

Because I am a documentary junkie, I have seen the film but not read the book. ;) We watched the documentary not long after it came out, and I still find myself getting caught up on many of the things I learned from it. There are some things I don't know that I would ever want to do, like laundry in my bathtub or giving up "real" toilet paper. I LOVED the family bike. If I was brave enough to bike on the streets of OKC with my girls outside of the urban core, I might just ditch the car for good. The quote you chose sums up what I learned from the Beavan family.

Susan said...

I love this quote, and I love that you were reading "No Impact Man."

Love you!